Sunday, June 5, 2011

In a few days, we leave for a Chenette vacation camping in Utah. Upon our return, we'll almost immediately leave for Canada to celebrate Oma and Opa Bakker's 60th anniversary. This will be a period of changes!

Even by the time we get back from Utah, I imagine our garden will be pretty different. The lettuce may have gone to seed and gotten bitter from this incredible heat; the arugula, spinach, and herbs will certainly run to seed. There probably won't be too many strawberries left. But the the peas should still be going, the raspberries should be in full swing, and we might even be able to harvest a few early beets when we get back from Canada. And if they keep growing as they have been the past week, the squash plants will be huge!

My summer schedule will also have changed. The day after we get back from Canada, I start teaching 90 minutes 5 days a week. I absolutely cannot wait to teach this class again, because I love the music so much, but I have been relishing the past two weeks. I've been teaching myself more web design and coding skills (CSS and HTML5, currently working on Javascript), doing a lot of weeding, and making (I think) some real progress on dissertation-related research. I'm not sure how much of that will be able to continue. But a few raspberries would make up for a lot....

No comments: