I felt really stupid on the first day of Latin yesterday, because I wasn't able to follow the discussion of parts of speech, tenses, moods, aspects, qualities, principal parts, etc. However, after a frustrating day of wrestling with the material, I feel a lot better now, and I'm starting to get excited about translating. We're going awfully fast--we were translating full sentences after the first day and we're getting through 300 pages of material (not counting the review pages and appendices) in 6 weeks. Sentences which I translated today (the second day of class) as homework:
Incolaene dē glōriā patriae tacuērunt? (Were the inhabitants silent about the glory of the country?)
Rēginam dē incolārum īnsidiīs monuī. (I warned the queen of the inhabitants' plot.)
Glōriam enim optāverint. (Indeed they will have desired glory.)
Puellas neque lacrimās neque culpam cēlāverant. (The girls hid neither their tears nor their guilt.)
Pecūniam rēginae ē terrā cēperat. (You had hidden the queen's money from the land.)
And the sentence I failed to translate today (I think I'm close: it sounds like it should be deep, but what I have doesn't make sense):
Sententiās dē animā mūtāre incēperāmus sed sententiās nōn mūtāverātis. (We had begun the thoughts of changing the soul but you had not changed the thoughts?)
3 comments:
Viva Lingua Latina!
I can't remember the name of the construction (Objective infinitive? It's been a while), but that last sentence is basically "We began to change the thoughts from your minds, but you did not change them." One of those weird, slightly non-intuitive Latin grammatical constructions. Wait till you get to indirect questions, ablative absolutes, and future passive periphrastics.
I was thinking of http://www.dl.ket.org/latinlit/grammar/>Indirect Statement, but that sentence above is not an actual example. So nevermind! Though I stand by my translation.
Post a Comment