Would I like a noun and an adjective?
NO!!!!!
Sorry, I've got a Latin quiz tomorrow and I've been practicing declining my nouns and adjectives a fair amount this afternoon. As you can tell, I've gotten pretty good at it. Among other things, I've declined "great sister" (you choose whether great means "awesome" or "large" or both):
A great sister (nominative): soror magna, plural sorores magnae
Of a great sister (genitive): sororis magnae, pl. sororum magnarum
To/for a great sister (dative): sorori magnae, sororibus magnis
A great sister (accusative): sororem magnam, sorores magnas
from/in/with/by a great sister (ablative): sorore magna, sororibus magnis
Other great phrases I've declined are "happy rock" (saxum laetum? no thank you!), "beautiful voice" (vox pulchra? uh-uh), "happy love" (amor laetus? not a chance) and "eternal father" (pater aeternus? well, maybe--okay, no.).
There are lots of fun options. I still need to get to "ancient fire," "harsh mother," "pious brother" (clearly, I'm just going through my family members), "gold mountain," "true light" (ooh--that's a good one, but I think the answer will still be no), "honest foot."
1 comment:
Sounds like you've been declining so much, there won't be much left of you by the end of this Latin class! But just think of how much more you will enjoy future graduation ceremonies---especially if they insist on calling out the degrees in Latin!
MOM
Post a Comment